Pineapple, Jalapeño and Mushroom pizza from Pizza Perfect!
Sweet Curry with Organic Apples, Bananas and Onions, Seitan and Red Hot Jalapeno Jelly
I was looking for a recipe for a sweet curry that was pretty easy to throw together. I found one but had to substitute a lot of things to make it vegan. Here’s how I made it and I served it over some brown rice.
- 1 Tbsp: vegan margarine (canola oil may also work)
- 1 sweet onion - peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp: curry powder
- 1 apple - peeled and sliced (granny smith or golden delicious preferably)
- 1 banana - sliced
- 1 Tbsp: brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp: jalapeno jelly (fig, apple or apricot jam/jelly may also work)
- 1 8 oz. package of seitan strips
- 1/2 cup: water
- 1 vegetable broth cube
- Start by warming up the margarine/oil and adding the onions for a few minutes so they start to get clear.
- Next add your curry powder, apple and banana. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add your brown sugar and jelly/jam and stir until it’s well absorbed into your mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until it starts to thicken.
This had a very interesting, but really good, taste to it. It is a little “meat” heavy so you may want to use just half a package of seitan. I think the next time I may try and shred the apple because the texture slightly takes away from the rest of the ingredients. Even though I used the hot red jalapeno jelly, it wasn’t spicy at all so I may add a little cayenne pepper the next time as well.